Monday, September 10, 2018

Former NBA All-Star Kenny Anderson hired as Fisk University head basketball coach

NASHVILLE, Tennessee -- Montreal Nabors had to check Google when he heard Fisk had hired Kenny Anderson as its new basketball coach.

Nabors, a senior and the Bulldogs' leading returning scorer from last season, wasn't old enough to know about Anderson, 47, in Anderson's heyday.

"I did some research to see how big he really was, and I was like, 'Man, this could really help me as a senior,'" Nabors said. "I want to push my basketball career further after this season, so I was like, 'I could really learn a lot from him.'"

Nabors learned that Anderson, a native of Queens, N.Y., was a McDonald's All-American high school player, led Georgia Tech to the Final Four in 1990 and played 14 seasons in the NBA. He was an NBA All-Star in 1994 while playing for the New Jersey Nets and finished his career with 10,789 points, 5,196 assists and 2,641 rebounds.

Anderson was officially introduced Monday as Fisk's new coach. He replaced Larry Glover, the school's athletics director who spent the past three years coaching the team.

It was a huge hire for the historically black school with an enrollment of fewer than 800 students and that plays in the NAIA.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: