Thursday, August 23, 2012

JSU Gooden eyes 1,000-yard mark

JACKSON, Mississippi - Tommy Gooden didn't need long to realize band wasn't for him.

He was a ninth grader at Frederick Douglas High School in Atlanta at the time. A defensive end on the junior varsity football team, a young Gooden found himself sitting in the back of a crowded band room struggling to do much of anything under the weight of what felt like the largest tuba in the Peach State.

"I was like, 'I can't even do it.' So I went out on the football field," Gooden said. "I dropped band the first week or two, I think it might have been the first day.  "I was good, but I couldn't do it," he said, referring to the weight of the tuba.

He stuck with football. Gooden was called up to the varsity as a kick returner his sophomore year after one coach saw his speed during a track meet. By the time he was a senior, he was the team's starting running back. READ MORE

No comments: