Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Former Wildcat won't stop believin'

WILMINGTON, North Carolina  -- Throughout the world, sports represent opportunity. Whether it's escaping an oppressive tyrant in a foreign country or young Americans from poverty-stricken areas, sports is a way out.

 
Yet reality shows it's a narrow path to travel. According to a study conducted by the NCAA, only 1.6 percent of college football players become professionals.
 
Former New Hanover Wildcat Jermaine Jones doesn't worry about numbers. The redshirt junior wide receiver for St. Augustine's University aspires to become a professional, and is doing whatever it takes to make his dream a reality.
 
"I can't sum up my love for the game," said Jones. "It's going to take a lot of hard work. Putting in the work, doing what I have to do on the field and classroom, but playing the game I love is something I can't live without. It's my way out."
 
Jones was the 2009 StarNews Track & Field Athlete of the Year as a senior at New Hanover. His best tool of the trade is speed, but family fuels the 6-foot-4 receiver on and off the field.
 
 

No comments: