Sunday, October 28, 2012

Johnson C. Smith 27, St. Augustine’s 21



CHARLOTTE, North Carolina -- The Juice was loose for J.C. Smith’s homecoming.

Senior receiver Matthew Jeffries scored a career-best three touchdowns on seven receptions in the Golden Bulls’ 27-21 CIAA South win against St. Augustine’s Saturday at McGirt Field. The victory was J.C. Smith’s third in a row, which was last accomplished in 2006 and put the Golden Bulls (5-4, 4-2 CIAA) one away from back-to-back plus winning seasons for the first time since 1973.

“I’ve never caught three (touchdowns in a game) in my life,” Jeffries said. “This day means a lot. It’s my last homecoming. I enjoyed every bit of it.”

The 6-4, 205-pound Jeffries took advantage of physical mismatches against St. Augustine’s smaller defensive back, going high to snag passes when J.C. Smith needed big plays. Jeffries and quarterback Keahn Wallace, who hit 16-of-27 passes for 316 yards and four scores, exploited that difference in single coverage to keep the Falcons (5-4, 3-3) honest.

“In practice this week, my coach told me I just had to make plays,” Jeffries said. “I knew they were going to try to be physical with me. My teammates held me up all week and (Wallace) threw great passes to me.”



READ MORE

No comments: