Sunday, June 22, 2014

Alabama State Price Signs Free Agent Contract With Arizona Diamondbacks

PHOENIX, Arizona -- Alabama State University first baseman Dexter Price has signed a free agent contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
 
Price (6-2, 200, Sr., Lake Worth, Fla.) led the Hornets and tied for third in the SWAC with seven home runs and was fifth on the team with 40 RBI. He hit .299 this season with 14 multi-hit games and seven multi-RBI games with a .397 on-base percentage and .448 slugging percentage. Price was ninth in the SWAC in runs scored (29), tied for seventh in two-out RBI (19), and ranked 10th in total bases (90). He started all 113 games he played in as a Hornet during his two-year career, hitting 15 home runs and driving in 67 runs.
 
"I'm very proud of Scooter and this great accomplishment," said Alabama State head baseball coach Mervyl Melendez. "He gave us two great years, was an outstanding player and a good teammate. We wish him well."
 
Price is the fourth player from the 2014 SWAC Eastern Division championship Hornets to be selected to play professional baseball, joining SS Emmanuel Marrero (7th round pick - Philadelphia Phillies), OF Richard Amion (19th round - San Francisco Giants) and C Richard Gonzalez (29th round - Houston Astros).

"I want to thank the coaches for being there to help me during my time at ASU," said Price, who transferred to the Hornets from Daytona State College. "I will never forget all the players there. I wish I could stay longer because I had more fun on this team than any I've ever played on. I wish the best of luck to future players who will get the opportunity to play at Alabama State. It was a fun experience."


COURTESY ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: