Saturday, July 9, 2016

From Player to Hall of Famer: ‘Cy’ McClairen retires after 55 years of service to Bethune-Cookman University Athletics



DAYTONA BEACH, Florida -- When it comes to history, legacy and tradition at Bethune-Cookman University, only the school’s founder, Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune, ranks higher than 85-year-old Jack “Cy’’ McClairen.

The longtime Wildcat retired on June 30 after 55 years of service with the institution serving in various capacities.

A small get together was held for him at B-CU’s Center for Civic Engagement last week with both current and former staff, faculty and alumni in attendance.

“It’s just time. I figured it’s time that I take my butt home,” quipped McClairen.

During his time at Bethune-Cookman, he touched many lives.

“I came back to coach football but ended up coaching basketball and being athletic director. I met regular students. I got in contact with not just athletes but students. I decided to use this to influence all students to get an education. I talked with them and let them know the position that they are in, they can do something for their lives,” McClairen told the Daytona Times last week about his long tenure at Bethune-Cookman.



CONTINUE READING

No comments: