Friday, July 1, 2016

W-S Prep athlete heads to Fayetteville State with scholarship

WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina -- Former Winston-Salem Prep Academy player Kala Robinson grew up being a cheerleader. As she watched her older sister play basketball her focus changed.

Robinson has signed her letter of intent to play basketball for the Lady Broncos of Fayetteville State University.

The 5’9” Robinson said her favorite aspect of playing basketball is playing as a team and sharing the ball. Her favorite player is Camille Little of the Connecticut Sun in the WNBA. Little is from Winston-Salem and played at Carver High School before becoming a star player for the UNC Tar Heels.

“I was really overwhelmed and I was really happy because it was proof all of my hard work paid off,” said Robinson of her scholarship.

With her height, Robinson says at the high school level she was able to overpower smaller guards and her shooting touch and speed enabled her to out maneuver forwards. “In high school when girls guarded me, it would be a mismatch because I was usually stronger than them,” Robinson said. “I need to get stronger for the next level because when I went to an open gym at Fayetteville State, those girls were really strong.”

Kala Robinson’s father, Alvin Robinson, was very happy for his daughter and the success she had on the court.

“I’m proud of her. She always wanted to go to a CIAA school because of the hype of the conference,” said Alvin Robinson. “I am more proud of the fact she is able to live her dream and not the dream of my wife and I.”

CONTINUE READING

No comments: