Sunday, June 1, 2014

B-CU football coach Brian Jenkins disqualified in MMA debut

DELAND, Florida — Bethune-Cookman football coach Brian Jenkins did not walk out of the Tommy Lawrence Arena with a win in his mixed martial arts debut Saturday, but he was able to leave with his head held high.

Jenkins, 43, wobbled Chris Green, 27, with a right, and dropped him with a left seconds into their fight and appeared well on his way to a win. But a pair of blows, deemed illegal by two ringside judges, while Green was grounded, led to Jenkins' disqualification in their fight at Breakthrough MMA 12.



While strikes on the ground are legal in professional MMA, they are illegal in amateur mixed martial bouts when fighters have less than three fights.

“I am proud of what I showed,” Jenkins said. “Whatever the judges decided, I'm not going to question. I committed myself to eight to 10 weeks of training. I wanted to prove to my players that everything I ask them to do as far as focus and attention to detail … that is what I put into preparing for this fight, and I went out and executed. And I wanted to prove to my son and daughter that if you set your mind on something you can do it.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: