Sunday, January 10, 2016

Christopher Hyder leads the way as Southern holds off Grambling

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana -- Southern saw its 17-point lead early in the second half against Grambling shrink and shrink and shrink.

But point guard Christopher Hyder made sure the lead never disappeared, leading the Jaguars to a 66-61 victory Saturday night in the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

Hyder twice stopped Tigers runs with jumpers, assisted on three crucial late baskets and helped secure the victory by making all four of his free-throw attempts in the final 30 seconds. In all he scored or assisted on 17 of Southern’s final 24 points.

“After four years, I just have a feel for it,” Hyder said. “Most teams play off of me because in the first half I usually look for assists and have zero points. But when they back off of me and give me the jumper I have confidence I can knock my shot down.”

Hyder had four assists and no points at halftime after missing his only two shots. He made all three of his shots in the second half and finished with 10 points, seven assists, three rebounds and two steals. He played all 40 minutes and didn’t turn the ball over.

CONTINUE READING

No comments: