Friday, July 19, 2013

Former Ohio University band director marching forward with band tarnished by hazing death

ATHENS, Ohio --  The former band director of Ohio University’s Marching 110 says he aims to lead by example as he rebuilds the celebrated marching band at Florida A&M University whose reputation was tarnished by the hazing-related death of a band member in 2011.

FAMU named Dr. Sylvester Young director of marching and pep bands in May. Young served as director of bands at OU for six years from 1990 to 1996. Young earned his undergraduate degree in music education from FAMU in 1969.

“You fall in love with your alma mater,” Young said. “I did because it offered you so much at such a young age. And then of course going out in my career I learned so many things that you could only learn through a career, through life experiences. So coming back here I'm able to not only bring back and give the things that I've learned but also the things that I've learned that have been enhanced throughout my life and my career.”




CONTINUE READING

No comments: