Tuesday, February 28, 2017
No. 2 Rush in NAIA's top 3 for 10th consecutive poll
NEW ORLEANS — Xavier University of Louisiana remained No. 2 Tuesday in the newest NAIA men's tennis coaches poll and made its 10th consecutive appearance in the top three.
Since the previous poll Feb. 14, the Gold Rush (5-3) have victories against an NCAA Division I opponent (Nicholls State), the NAIA's No. 3 team (Keiser) and NCAA Division III's No. 2 team (Emory). Since XULA's 5-4 victory at Emory Feb. 18, the Eagles have won the ITA's D3 national indoor championship.
Next for the Gold Rush will be a 1:30 p.m. Friday dual against NAIA No. 6 William Carey in Hattiesburg, Miss., at the Southern Miss Tennis Complex. The Crusaders (5-1) climbed one place in the poll. This dual originally was scheduled for XULA, but the schools agreed Tuesday to swap venues. The April 15 XULA-William Carey dual will move from Carey to XULA Tennis Center.
For the 22nd consecutive poll, Georgia Gwinnett is unanimous at No. 1. The Grizzlies defeated XULA 5-0 Feb. 19 at GGC's Grizzly Invitational.
Other XULA poll streaks:
• 80th consecutive appearance in the top 25 . . . streak began April 4, 2007.
• 71st consecutive appearance in the top 20 . . . streak began April 30, 2008.
• 56th consecutive appearance in the top 15 . . . streak began Feb. 1, 2011.
• 50th consecutive appearance in the top 10 . . . streak began May 3, 2011.
• 12th consecutive appearance in the top 5 . . . streak began Jan. 26, 2016.
Ed Cassiere, Sports Information Director
XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA