Thursday, February 21, 2008

Halfcourt heave a big sigh of relief for Hampton University

Photo: Hampton University guard Vincent (Vinny)Simpson, 6-1 sophomore from Cardinal Dougherty H.S., Philadelphia, PA.

Vinny Simpson walked. He claims otherwise, but even his coaches sheepishly concede the extra step. Nearly a week has passed since Simpson's 50-foot heave at the buzzer banked in to lift the Pirates over visiting South Carolina State 77-74. But replaying the shot still prompts smiles in coach Kevin Nickelberry's office and the team's locker room.

"Whenever I saw a shot like that on TV, I thought, 'I wish I could do that one day,' " Simpson said prior to Wednesday's practice. "Especially from halfcourt. And I didn't want to hit one at halftime. I wanted to hit the game-winner." So he did. From a step beyond midcourt. Despite the presence of two defenders.

CONTINUE READING THIS ARTICLE BY CLICKING ON THE BLOG TITLE.

Click here to see winning shot: http://www.dailypress.com/video/?slug=dp-video-lastsec

No comments: