Sunday, August 28, 2016
Gold Nuggets drop pair of matches at STU Invitational
MIAMI GARDENS, Florida — Xavier University of Louisiana lost 25-21, 25-18, 25-11 to St. Thomas (Fla.) and 25-18, 26-28, 25-14, 25-23 to Coastal Georgia Friday on the opening day of the STU Invitational volleyball tournament.
The Gold Nuggets (1-5) were outhit .227 to .147 for the day.
Notable XULA individuals:
• Tiffany Phillips extended her streak of assist/dig doubles to six. She had 22 assists and 10 digs against St. Thomas and 41 assists and 10 digs against Coastal Georgia. It's XULA's longest double-double streak sinceTaylor Reuther's seven consecutive matches (kills and digs) in 2013.
• Juliana Tomasoni had 15 kills and 18 digs against Coastal Georgia. It was her third double-double of the season.
• Amanda Perry had 12 digs in the first match and 14 in the second to extend her streak of double-figure performances to five matches.
• Kayla Jones had 10 digs against Coastal Georgia — her first double-figure performance of the season and the eighth of her career.
• Monet Fontaine and Hasani Salaam had nine kills apiece against Coastal Georgia.
• Adili Rikondja had three blocks against St. Thomas to match her career high.
In the lone set the Gold Nuggets won, they rallied from a 23-22 deficit and clinched on their fourth set point.
St. Thomas is 5-0, and Coastal Georgia is 3-3. In the final match Friday, St. Thomas rallied for a 19-25, 22-25, 25-22, 25-16, 15-13 victory against NAIA No. 2 Missouri Baptist.
The Gold Nuggets will play Saturday at 10 a.m. EDT against Missouri Baptist and 4 p.m. against Indiana Tech. XULA will play its home opener next Friday.
Ed Cassiere, Sports Information Director
XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA