Sunday, August 28, 2016

Unique Opener, Program's Legacy Has Morgan State's Fred Farrier Excited

BALTIMORE, Maryland -- When Fred Farrier was appointed the interim head coach of the Morgan State football program in February 2015, he was already familiar with the Bears' first opponent.

Farrier will make his debut as Morgan State's head coach Sept. 3, when the Bears open the 2016 season at Hughes Stadium against his alma mater, Holy Cross. Farrier, who was promoted when former head coach Lee Hull left Morgan State to become the Indianapolis Colts' wide receivers coach, will be looking across the field at the familiar purple-and-white uniform he used to wear.

"Just getting to the football season in general is a super-exciting time," said Farrier, who graduated from Holy Cross in 1994. "I have an opportunity to be a head coach again. To be in a situation where I get to coach my first game against my alma mater is pretty special. It's not something that I could have drawn up."



Farrier has already heard from several people who were a part of his Holy Cross undergraduate experience.

"Chris Summers was my college roommate," said Farrier, a native of Cleveland Heights, Ohio. "His dad, Andre, who followed us to every game when we were at Holy Cross, is a Morgan State graduate, and he's actually going to come back on campus for the game. Chris and his entire family will travel to watch me coach in this game against our alma mater. A couple of my former teammates have called."

CONTINUE READING

No comments: