Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Jackson State's Tony Hughes ready for big opportunity

JACKSON, Mississippi -- Jackson State's Tony Hughes spent his 31-year coaching career as an assistant waiting for an opportunity to be a head coach, something he’ll achieve Thursday night against UNLV.

Although the enormity of the moment hasn’t hit him yet, he believes his 10 years in the Southeastern Conference will help him through any nerves.

“I’m prepared mentally, physically, spiritually, because I’ve coached in tough environments for the last 10 years,” Hughes said. “Some of those environments, I would go out there on a Saturday and say, ‘What the hell am I doing here? Oh, my God.’”

The challenge for road teams playing in UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium isn’t as much as it is in Alabama’s Bryant Denny Stadium or LSU’s Tiger Stadium, two venues Hughes is familiar with during his time at Ole Miss (three seasons) and Mississippi State (seven seasons).

CONTINUE READING

No comments: