Sunday, August 28, 2016

Aerial attack for Morgan State could get big boost from return of receiver Thomas Martin

BALTIMORE, Maryland -- While all players look forward to the regular season, it might be difficult to top how eager Morgan State wide receiver Thomas Martin is to play.

The senior was one of several Bears who were deemed academically ineligible after they were not properly certified by the university. So instead of trying to help last year’s team retain the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference championship it had captured in 2014, Martin was relegated to onlooker status for the entire campaign.

“It was real tough,” Martin said recently. “I took it kind of hard, but my coaches told me just to build on it because I was coming back next year. So I just went hard in the classroom and worked hard off the field so that I could help the team any way that I could. It paid off because I didn’t drop balls like some guys would have. I just took it as a learning experience.”

So how anxious is he to suit up for his first game since catching four passes in Morgan State's Football Championship Subdivision playoff loss at Richmond in 2014?

“It’s really high because there’s a big sense of urgency,” he said. “Our first few games are really big, and on top of that, it’s my last year. So I really feel like we need everything we can get as soon as possible.”

CONTINUE READING 

No comments: